History of the Arizona Burn Foundation
Originally the Foundation for Burns and Trauma, the Arizona Burn Foundation was established in 1967 by two Maricopa County surgeons: Dr. MacDonald Wood and Dr. William Price along with attorney George F. Randolph. Their mission was two-fold: to assist in the development of a community-based burn center and to respond to the community’s desire for an organization that can receive and earmark donations for burn patient treatment, rehabilitation, and public education. Although not directly affiliated with any hospital, the Foundation initially existed as a support organization for what would become the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center.
- March 1967 – Founded
- August 1991 – Inaugural Arizona Children’s Burn Camp
- January 1996 – First McDonald Wood Scholarship Awarded
- June 1997 – Tucson Satellite office opens at TFD
- Fall 1995 – Hispanic Anti-Burn Task Force begins
- December 1999 – Inaugural Holiday Festival of Trees Event at Wrigley Mansion
- March 2001 – Forever Courage House opens
- December 2006 – Forever Courage House expands
- June 2007 – First smoke alarm walk in Tempe
- July 2008 – Mrs. HotPots introduced at Sunrise Preschool #135 in Phoenix
- March 2015 – Moved to 1432 N. 7th Street
Dr. McDonald Wood
Dr. Wood co-founded the Arizona Burn Center in addition to the Foundation, and brought burn care to the Southwest. His leadership serves as an example and every year several young burn survivors receive a scholarship in his name.
Dr. William Price
As a surgical resident, Dr. Price was so moved by the suffering of a child with extensive burns that he helped found what are known today as the Arizona Burn Center and the Arizona Burn Foundation.
George “Fritz” Randolph
As a founder of the Arizona Burn Foundation, Fritz Randolph played a critical role building the organization to serve burn survivors. After many years of service to the Foundation, he was honored with the title of “Life Director Emeritus”.